Best Free Internet Security Software
You can get a lot of protection by using the best free Internet security software that we have listed below. This is useful if you don't want to fork out about $30-$100/yearly for commercial Internet Security Software.
- Best Free Internet Security Software - Firefox browser with Noscript and AdBlock Plugin This is free and open source. Most malware and fishing attacks happen through plugins in the browser like Flash. Often malware is placed on ads on sites you visit. These plugins prevent quite a lot of the malware attacks from happening.
- Best Free Internet Security Software - Lavasoft Ad Aware FreeThis is a very popular malware detection and removal tool on the market.
- Best Free Internet Security Software #2 - SpybotSearches whole computer or just a certain file for malicious software commonly missed by anti-virus programs.
- #3 - Clam Anti Virus Scanner ClamAV is an open source antivirus engine designed for detecting Trojans, viruses, malware and other malicious threats.
- #4 - msconfig This utility comes with the Windows operating system. Use Start->Run and in the box that comes up type "msconfig" as the name of the program to run. This brings up a dialog box where you can change many of the settings. Of particular importance is the "Startup" tab. Make sure only programs that you want to run on startup are running on it. Cutting down on programs that run on startup will make your computer startup faster and also run faster.
- #5 - Linux Virtual Machine Even with all measures in place, you are taking a big chance when browsing the Internet using a browser running on the same system that you use to do your banking and important work on. It is not practical to have a separate computer for casual browsing. One good way is to surf the web using a browser running in a virtual machine. We provide a small VM that you can use to browse the web. Our VM is enhanced with other privacy enhancing software like a virtual keyboard.
- Drive Image XMLDrive Image XML is free for personal use. It allows you to make a sector by sector exact copy of your hard disk. It is a great idea to make such an exact image your disk periodically. If your hard disk is trashed by a malware program or a virus, you can restore the entire hard disk from the backup hot image. If you did not have the hot image of the entire hard disk you would have to reinstall the OS, configure the drivers, reinstall the software and then reinstall all the software. That is a long, error prone process.
Return from Best Free Internet Security Software to Security and Privacy Software